THE KAWAII.I CAMPUS!
What is 'Kawaii'? It is certainly more than just something that is cute. In fact it is also a positive mindset, a philosophy, a community, and a full global phenomenon. Kawaii culture invites girls and boys of all countries, races, ages, creeds, orientations, and religions to express themselves through fun fashion and positive activities. Born in Japan, Kawaii culture continues to evolve and spread around the globe under the banner "Be Yourself, Be Kawaii!"At the Kawaii.i Campus learn all about what Kawaii is, get the latest news and trends, as well as connect with the community directly to and from Japan!
Be Yourself, Be Kawaii!
- If it's pink, if it's girlie, if it makes you feel like the prettiest princess in the world, then it must be sweet style. This genre covers a wide range of feminine fashion, with the most well-known being Lolita. From there are many offshoots, like the more casual sweet-girlie style which is a more mainstream way to dress girlie these days.
- There are many cutting-edge labels born from the streets of Tokyo, which are able to straddle the lines between street and high-end fashion. And then there are the shops that take mixing vintage and runway togetherto an art form. To them, the streets are the runways.
- POP fashion is fun, it doesn't discriminate on age, and it's ALWAYS changing and evolving. Find the most colorful styles here, such as Decora, Yume-kawaii, Anime-inspired, American-kid Style and more.
- If there is light, there must also be dark. These are all of your favorite "heavy" styles of Japanese fashion that come with a cool and dark demeanor such as Goth, Visual-kei, Shironuri, Boyish Style, and Punk.
- So what is everyone else wearing in Tokyo these days? Is it denim? Is it boho? Is it Vintage? Check out what the latest and greatest style trends in Tokyo area!
- The style in Shibuya is inherently different than that of Harajuku, and it has its own famous genre, "gyaru". Definied by signature makeup, tan skin, sparkly nail art, and penchants for strong female companionship, it defined a generation and is still going strong.
- Kimono and other traditional clothing aren't just for the history books, there is a new wave of young stylish people who wear their robes in modern ways, and even mix Japanese clothes into other street styles, like Steampunk. See all of their creative looks here.
KAWAII.I CAMPUS MENU
- See legendary street styles alongside the latest new outfits from Tokyo.
- Top Japanese artists and bloggers show you how to do makeup, DIY crafts, recipes, and more!
- Find links to the blogs and pages of all of our Kawaii Leaders in the world, and connect with the models and other guests who appear on the Kawaii International TV show.
- We'll bring you the latest trends as they emerge straight from Tokyo, the home of global Kawaii culture. You can watch this program from the NHK World website on PC, TV or the NHK World mobile app...and it's FREE!!!